Mike and Margaret Hanson spent a long time searching for the perfect piece of land before finding what is now ‘Hanson Vineyard’ in 1996. They set out to buy five acres but fell in love with thirty, situated on the old river terraces of the Ruakokapatuna River.
Martinborough winemaking pioneer and neighbor Bill Brink was horrified at Mike and Margaret’s plans to plant the entire site in olives, declaring it is a crime to not plant grapes. As a result of his persuasion the site is now home to more than 6000 vines and 1100 olive trees. It produces small quantities of intensely flavoured grapes and top quality olive oil. The application of sustainable wine growing principles from the start, and now a transition to an organic approach, has helped to nurture and bring out the best in this terroir.
The site continues to capture the hearts of those who visit. It is a special place, peaceful, where the land speaks and the vines watch over the valley below.